Around the time that three boys were discovering the remains of a once live mastodon in Mississippi, a Tyrannosaurus Rex was dying in Colorado.
Going down in flames, as a matter of fact.
This particular T Rex was an animatronic puppet — life-sized and impressive. It was part of a display at a dinosaur-themed park in Canon City.
The giant dino smoldered for a while before bursting into a blaze, reports The Associated Press.
"We knew he had a temper, but today he blew his top," quipped co-owner Zach Reynolds.
In the manner of a B-grade movie monster, the T Rex at times even appeared to be breathing fire.
Mr. Reynolds says he hopes to have a replacement installed by summer. Until then, we’re sure the herbivores will breathe easier.